Why not treat family and friends to delicious home baking this Easter. Simnel muffins are a great little twist on the traditional Easter simnel cake. They even have the layer of marzipan in the middle! Enjoy!
At Overt Locke you will find baking trays, oven gloves, paper cases and plenty of cutters and coloured icing to decorate your home bakes. We even sell the little yellow chicks pictured in the image below.
Simnel Muffins Recipe:
- 250g mix of sultana, raisins, cherries and mix peel
- Juice one lemon
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mix spice
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 150g marzipan
- 6 tablespoons Royal Icing sugar
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Mini chocolate eggs
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C(fan)/Gas 4. Line 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Add dried fruit with the lemon juice and mix well. Microwave on half power for 2 minutes.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add beaten eggs. Stir in flour, spices and fruit. Mix in well.
- Put one tablespoon of mix into the bottom of each muffin case.
- Divide marzipan into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten into 2cm disc. Place one in each muffin case.
- Divide the remaining mix between 12 muffins on top of the marzipan.
- Bake in pre heated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool on wire rack.
- Sift the Royal Icing sugar and add lemon juice until mix will coat the back of a spoon and run off slowly. Beat until smooth.
- Drizzle over each cake and top with eggs. Enjoy!