Courgette and lime cake is an all time favourite here at Overt Locke. A few years ago there was a debate between the staff as to which sponge cake was the best. So we put it to the vote and guess what?…. The courgette and lime cake won! It was made for all the staff to taste and everyone was delighted.
Here is the said cake recipe so you can try it for yourself. Perfect for an abundance of courgettes! It is a basic sponge cake mixture with courgette and lime and a lime cream cheese filling.
Basic Sponge Mix
- 275g self-raising flour sifted
- 275g butter or margarine at room temperature
- 275g caster sugar
- 4 eggs beaten
Courgette and Lime
- 150g courgette grated
- Zest of a whole lime and half the juice
- 250g full fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar sifted
- Juice of half a lime
- Beat the sugar and butter/margarine together until light and fluffy
- Slowly add the eggs to prevent curdling
- Gently fold in the flour
- Squeeze the grated courgette to remove as much water as possible
- Fold in the lime and courgette
- Divide between 2x 9” Sandwich tins (greased and lined)
- Bake in the oven at 180°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 4.5) for 20-25 mins or until an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool
- Beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lime. Put half of the filling inside the cake and the remainder on top
TOP TIP 1: Why not try adding sultanas to the mixture and sprinkle crushed pistachios over the top for added flavour and texture.
TOP TIP 2: Try this as a tray bake or loaf. Remember to adjust the baking time to suit.